-
August 10th, 2007, 09:48 PM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
Was just digging thru some old '70's literature and came across- apparently Altec and acoustic got together and developed a version of the University M-12 Mustang as a guitar speaker.
Anyway, to cut to the chase, Acoustic ordered a bunch, then cancelled the project. A company called Warehouse Sound in LA bought them and liquidated them. All I have is a note in their catalog- no pics etc.
I'd be curios if anybody ever heard of such a thing and how did they sound?
From the looks of the catalog, it's about 1973-74.
One other interesting item in the audio section- A "head" maintenance kit. Complete with roach clip, said to improve the entire music range, especially the critical highs.
Another great piece of history lost to progress...
-
August 11th, 2007, 12:48 AM
#2
Inactive Member
I never heard of any of the Acoustic stuff but it does sound interesting.
I am certain I had a few of those "Head Maintainance" kits and might even have some remnants laying around here somewhere.
Wonder if there is a market for "Vintage Clips"?
Gary
-
August 11th, 2007, 02:06 AM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
Maybe someday we can have a get together with a bunch of us here. I'm pretty sure I can come up with the necessary items to see if those kits still function to spec. Repeated tests may be necessary.
-
August 11th, 2007, 12:00 PM
#4
Inactive Member
All thats left these days is the hardware here!
Gary
-
August 11th, 2007, 02:39 PM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
T be frank, 3 years since I've had a beer and probably ten for a joint. Who has the time?
Getting a buzz has slid down the top 100 to about 99. It comes in ahead of paying my taxes...
-
August 11th, 2007, 04:55 PM
#6
Senior Hostboard Member
Your right about the Acoustic Bass Amps. Around the 73-74 time period I switched from stand-up bass to a brand new Fender Jazz Bass but didn't have an amp. A friend let me borrow his Acoustic Bass Amp (don't remember which model) but it was sweet. My friend was doing a steady gig with his "big" rig kept at the gig so I was able to use the Acoustic the better part of a year until I bought a Yamaha B115 as it was the only amp I was able to find that I could adjust to sound as mellow as the Acoustic. Because it wasn't mine, I never looked under the hood to see what brand 15" speaker it had in it.
-
August 11th, 2007, 06:23 PM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
Acoustic made guitar amps its entire life, right up to the end. they even made tube models- I've owned them.
Really was asking about the specific Altec speaker. AFAIK they were ordered by Acoustic but never installed.
The Acoustic 370 and Ampeg SVT bass amps were our staples when I was furnishing stage gear Somebody might spec a different amp, but they wouldn't argue when presented with those options.
Wish I still had that 370 and photos of everybody that used it. I could probably buy a decent pickup truck with what it might bring on Ebay.
-
August 12th, 2007, 02:55 AM
#8
Inactive Member
I went to visit a buddy today with one of the best guitar shops around. 1920s vintage brick storefront on the square of a dying little town, 20' ornate ceilings, 40'Wx120'D, guitars to the ceiling on both walls, and a head-high island of gear gown the middle. All the good stuff, original Plexis and Tweeds, Browns and Twins, and enough dust to complete the scene. There's my '60 Gretsch Roundup he won't sell back to me... A '50s goldtop over the counter to spend a night at the crossroads for.
Asked him about it and just got a look that indicated I needed to get out more....
-
August 12th, 2007, 03:16 AM
#9
Inactive Member
I've you're asking what an Acoustic guitar amplifier sounds like, well, it's very much a personal preference, but I never found an Acoustic guitar amp that I would want to even turn on again. They were solid state, very "gutless" and unresponsive, and didn't have anything like the sound that most guitarists were after - that's why they rather quickly disappeared. As for their bass amps, like the 360 or 371, that's an entirely different matter.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks